Paperwork - What I Wish I Had Known

Recently my wife changed from being a part time GED instructor to full time. With her change came a slew of benefits, such as: insurance, 401Ks, and assorted other stuff. As we were completing all the documents required we again realized that we should have kept certain things in a safe place, so that we would not have to go searching for them for hours only to finally realize we must visit various court houses in order to complete the paperwork required. So with that said, please take my advice and keep the following items in a safe, secure and dry storage place. And keep them all together for ease of finding them when you need them quickly.


Keep these FOREVER!!! 

  • Birth Certificate
  • Immunization Records
  • Social Security Cards
  • Retirement Accounts
  • Life Insurance Documents
  • Will or Trusts
  • Powers of Attorneys
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Military Discharge Papers
  • Diplomas
  • Death Certificates

Keep tax records for SEVEN YEARS (forms W2 and 1099s, including bank and brokerage statements, tuition payments, and charitable donation receipts)


Bills should be kept for one year. Credit Card statements for 60 days, and bank statements for one month. 


Warranties should be kept until the warranty period has been completed. 


I hope you’ve learned from my mistakes.  If you need me I’ll listen and maybe give good counsel.  My name is Steve, and I am your chaplain. I am here to serve. 


Chaplaincy is a permission-based employee benefit.  If you wish to opt out of the weekly emails, simply reply STOP.


Chaplain Steve DuVall


Comments